Monday, August 1, 2011

Midnight in Paris a Vintage Inspiration!

This weekend I had the pleasure of seeing Woody Allen's new movie Midnight in Paris. Not only was the movie wonderful, but so was the theatre I saw it in, The Majestic, in Gettysburg, PA. The film takes place in both modern day and in the 1920s. The cinematography alone is enough to make this film worth watching, but then there was the fashion! I was never enchanted with the 1920s. I dressed up as a flapper only on one occasion and that was for a "Chicago" themed evening. However, after taking in the scene of this movie I will be adding a little 1920 inspiration into my vintage wardrobe. I hope you get a chance to see the movie and be inspired too!


Here Adriana and Gil simply stroll the streets of Paris.  GIl wore this tweed jacket almost the entire movie, Mr. Allen's attempt to always be present in his movies I assume, but it works. While Adriana's dress was a simple, understated pretty. The dress had 2 sets of pleats in the front that kept the skirt sashaying as she walked the unpaved streets of Paris. The Whiting and Davis hand painted, metal meshed purse she is carrying is going to persuade me keep one of our own pieces in my personal collection, as well as put some up for sale at our Etsy Store.


Unfortunately Adriana makes smoking look sooo glamorous. The beading on this garment is exquisite and the obvious weight of the dress seemed to make it move and shake without a hint of effort. 
Some extra shots of some fabulous flapper costumes! 


This is actually me, Peanut in front of the Eiffel Tower when I was in Paris 6-years-ago

Miss Ruth sitting under the Eiffel Tower
Before I go, I wanted to leave you with two cute  tutorials on how to get a 1920s look!




While we may never have the opportunity to stroll the streets of Paris in the 1920s with our great pals the Fitzgerald and Hemingway, I hope we can at least create a look that says it all! 



No comments:

Post a Comment